Humanitas Research Hospital
Humanitas Researh Hospital is a highly specialized teaching and research hospital. Accredited by the National Health Service, Humanitas houses world-level doctors across more than 50 clinical domains grouped in specialized centers: Cancer, Neuro, Cardio, Orthopedic, Fertility, Obesity, Ophthalmology, Internal Medicine and Check-up, Pancreas and Duodenum conditions, Chronic Inflammatory Bowel diseases, and Immunology. The Hospital is also equipped with the Emergency room and the outpatient Radiotherapy Area.
The Italian Ministry of Health granted Humanitas the status of a Research Hospital (IRCCS) with the focus on diseases of the immune system, ranging from cancer to rheumatoid arthritis.
Humanitas is considered one of the most technologically advanced hospitals in Europe. The Hospital is equipped with:
- The latest generation of linear accelerators trueBEAM SX and EDGE that are used for radiosurgery and radiation therapy for the treatment of cancer;
- Robots Da Vinci and Da Vinci Xi – robotic surgery equipment used in mini- invasive surgeries;
- The latest generation of lasers employed in Ophthalmology;
- DoseWatch System, which automatically collects and analyzes radiation and iodine usage in Radiology department, allowing for reduction of patients’ and clinicians’ exposure;
- Gamma Knife used in Neuro-radiosurgery not only for tumors, but also for vascular malformations;
- Imaging technologies such as latest generation CT scans and MRIs, as well as PET-CT with cyclotron for in-house production of pharmaceuticals.
The patient plays a central role in Humanitas mission and every-day activities. The Hospital strives to provide all-around care for its patients due to the unique proximity and thus continuous collaboration between all centers of excellence in Humanitas. This synergy concentrates around the particularities of each patient and results in personalized medical treatment and care, whereas flawless customer service guarantees correct organization of this personalized treatment. The Internal International Office makes this high quality personalized treatment accessible also to foreign patients. Multicultural staff helps translating the warmth and “humanity” of the Italian medical care, contributing to patients’ comfort and confidence, which favorably reflects on their recovery.
Humanitas believes that it is essential to unite clinical quality and organizational efficiency. For this reason, it became the first Italian general hospital and one of the few in Europe to be certified for quality by the International Joint Commission (2002, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015), whereas in 2018 Humanitas received the JCI Academic Hospital status. Considered by Harvard University as one of the four most innovative hospitals in the world, Humanitas acts as a case study of the Harvard Business School for its organizational model, which combines economic, developmental and social responsibility.
The research and teaching functions are also critical for Humanitas. The Medical school, established in the year 2000, and later transformed in Humanitas University “Hunimed” houses over 1000 medical, nursing, and physiotherapy students from all over the globe. Humanitas Research Center, employing researchers from 15 different nations, conducts both pre-clinical studies and randomized controlled trials, and is considered to be in the top 6% in the world based on its publications’ impact factor.
Humanitas Research Hospital is the flagship of a hospital group also present in Bergamo, Turin, Catania, Castellanza (Varese) and Milan.